As pointed out last issue, Crow Canyon #551 is the result of the merger of eight lodges. Last month we looked at Bay No. 401.
Fremont Lodge No.497 - The History of Fremont Lodge No. 497 runs back to September 8, 1920, when fifteen brethren held the first of a series of four preliminary meeting in the home of Henry Howard Caldwell.
At this meeting, the brethren voted to give their proposed Lodge the name “Fremont.” Then they elected James Spencer Sullivan its first Master; Chester Culwell Morris, Senior Warden; Henry Howard Caldwell, Junior Warden.
At the second, third and fourth meeting ,, held respectively in the homes of Hiram Eugene Miller, Chester Culwell Morris, and Roy Gustav Lucks, they handled all other organizational matters. On December 1, 1920, Grand Master Rodden, issued their dispensation. That same evening, Inspector Granville Warren of the 32nd Masonic District instituted their Lodge in the Fruitvale Masonic Temple.
Fremont Lodge received its charter October 13, 1921, and was jointly constituted in the San Francisco Masonic Temple with Lebanon, Roosevelt, Sunnyvale, and Cupertino Lodges by Grand Master Burke the following day.
During its organizational period, the founders of Fremont Lodge subscribed $5 each intended to “pay for any entertainment expense that might arise.” This taught them the valuable lesson of forethought in all financial matters - and ‘to pay as you go.”
Consequently, their lodge has always been in excellent financial condition. Save two minor setbacks in 1933 and 1936, Fremont Lodge’s annual returns to Grand Lodge have never shown a net loss. They had otherwise climbed steadily from 50 members in 1921 to 462 by the beginning of 1949. Fremont Lodge’s first regular meeting place was the Fruitvale Masonic Temple at 34th Avenue and East 14th Street. After several moves, they merged with Tri-square No. 551 on October 1, 1986.
Our Lodge Library has a copy of “50 Years of Fremont Lodge No. 497, F. & A. M.” showcasing Past Masters from 1921 to 1970 which is currently in our secretary’s archives.